An ancient symbol inside a modern garden
Along the perimeter of the English Garden, just beyond the Aperia, a small Pyramid hides on the left among the vegetation. From there, a now underground canal carries the water to the Shepherd’s Fountain and the Bath of Venus. An opening gives access to a small dark environment that contributes to the mystical atmosphere of the monument. Completed in 1828, the Pyramid is linked to the traditions of Freemasonry. Its shapes evoke the relationship between mankind and the divine, according to initiatory practices in vogue between the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Similar symbolic and decorative elements are found in other European parks, such as the Parc Monceau in Paris.