The Gothic Chapel
A symbol of eternity
Built around 1840, the Gothic Chapel is located at the end of the Viale dei Cipressi (Cypress Avenue) in the English Garden. These trees, as well as the chapel itself, have a funerary meaning that is overturned by the symbols on the facade. There are in fact two inverted torches that allude to eternal life on the sides of the pointed-arch entrance. In the centre, one can still guess the shape of two crossed stucco swords, presumably a nod to the victory of the spirit over the body. The architecture of the chapel is linked to the nineteenth-century reclaim of the Gothic style.