The Fountain of Dolphins
Three sea monsters, the second fountain of the Via d’Acqua
The Hercules Bridge and the following Sala Bridge allowed Carlo Vanvitelli to keep the extension of the Royal Park planned by his father, without affecting the viability of the area. There is also a 470 meters long and 27 wide basin between the first and the second bridge. The exedra at the end hosts three immense sea monsters animated by powerful water jets, with a cave at the back. It is to these three statues, arranged on a rusticated backdrop, that the Dolphin Fountain owes its name. The sculptors Andrea Violani and Tommaso Solari were entrusted with their construction in 1779.