An ancient tower, a place of leisure and delight
Castelluccia is an articulated complex of gardens and architecture built in 1769, dominated by an octagonal pavilion. The architect Francesco Collecini went to modify the ancient Torre Pernesta – an early seventeenth-century casino, built by Prince Andrea Matteo Acquaviva for his wife Francesca Pernestain – following Luigi Vanvitelli’s design:. Surrounded by monumental magnolias, palms and araucarias, the Bourbon castle was conceived as a place of learning and recreation. Among its fortifications, the military trainings of the young King Ferdinand IV took place. It’s only when it was revisited as a place of delights in 1818, that it took on its current neoclassical forms. The subsequent addition of a Chinese-style kiosk bears witness to the nineteenth-century fascination for the Far East.